Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Tokyo film, no. 1

I just scanned my first batch of film from the tokyo adventures. Here is a small taste.





You can see the rest here. These were taken with a pentax k1000, which I really enjoy using but for which I really need to invest in a flash bulb. Even though I was in Japan for three & a half months where there are like a gajillion photo ops, I really didn't take that many pictures. On the one hand, I really regret not taking my cameras out more but on the other, I had my reasons for not doing so. It was mostly about engaging myself in the moment and not being overly preoccupied with taking pictures as well as not looking like a complete tourist all the time. This is just the first batch of what I have to offer from my trip but I only have maybe two more rolls of film and a few hundred digital photos, compared to many of my friends' thousands of photos and video footage. Speaking of which, I highly recommend you take a look at Vaughn's pictures!

It's pretty weird to be back home. almost feels like japan didn't happen. Before going there, I thought of tokyo in the same light as new york city in that they both seem like big exciting cities that I would want to live in, but just like for ny, I think I decided that I don't really want to live in tokyo anymore. I feel far too anonymous in both places. Especially towards the end [when I was broke] it was kind of a depressing and lonely time, so I guess I left japan with that feeling. But with that said, it was a truly amazing experience. It wasn't everything I thought it would be and it was disappointing in some respects, but I'm so happy I finally got to go. Hopefully I'll find my way back someday, but most likely just to visit.

No comments: