Monday, June 7, 2010

Baldovino Barani






source: Avant-garde Photography

Best editorial I've seen in awhile. The fashions are nice but the location is much more interesting. Browse through the photos while listening to Olafur Arnalds and the experience will be so perfectly creepy. Also, it looks like I've blogged about Barani before, on another editorial entitled The New Puritans.

A lot of his projects seem to have religious undertones, at least in their titles, but usually I can't make the connection between the photos and the concept that the titles might convey. I find myself feeling this way about most fashion editorials, so it becomes easier to just look at the clothes/styling in order to garner a strictly aesthetic appreciation. But I really wish we could become more concept-driven in our fashion. Stuff like this really cheese me off. If you don't want to click on it, it's an editorial by the same guy called The Missionary, featuring two Western models, one of whom plays the character of the "exotic Other." There is a concept and a story behind the clothes, sure, but the romanticizing of colonialism and the generalization it makes about non-Western/non-Christian people blahblahblahpsychobabble.. I guess what it comes down to is that I am really bored with fashion today, not that my own fashions are particularly inspirational/original.

No comments: