Sunday, July 4, 2010

concrete jungle

(I admit it, I love empire state of mind.) So my sister and I ventured to ny yesterday, Manhattan and Brooklyn specifically. I made an itinerary and everything. We got shepherd's pie for lunch at an Australian place called Tuck Shop. After refueling, we did some shopping in SOHO (Uniqlo!). Apparently the Kardashians were at Topshop when we were there. Here is a conversation that the pop-culture conscious Carol and I had.

"Who are the Kardashians?"
"Uh.. they have dark hair?"

Then we had our first taste of MACARONS at La Maison du Chocolat. They were a lot smaller than I had imagined. Here is a picture of me next to some macarons to give you a sense of scale.

So navigating around Manhattan was a hitch but sadly Brooklyn was kind of a bust. It was only my third time there so gimme a break. First we tried to get to the Brooklyn flea market and we couldn't find it. Instead, we settled for smoothies at Bklyn Crepe and Juice bar, which were DELICIOUS! I had a blueberry/coconut/ginger smoothie. It was spicy and tangy and everything good, and even though it turned my teeth purple and seedy, I luuurrrved it. I also had a box of blueberries for breakfast on the bus over. Trivia(l): As a child, I was allergic to blueberries. I guess I'm not anymore.


Then we went to the Brooklyn Museum for a free night of activities. We found it without a problem but the lines were decades long (who knew so many people liked free stuff?) so we stayed for an "electropop" act for bit, then headed back to Manhattan for dinner. Korean BBQ!

There were lots of really young girls who were totally into this band. Strange, as this was a lyric that I caught: "Give it to me, give it to me slowly. It's a small motion explosion." Here are some other interesting things I heard yesterday:

"Sorry, I'm not a hotdog girl."
"I wanted to breastfeed him tonight but I was wasted."


I feel like I'm getting much better at navigating through ny. I saw an otherwise "cleancut" boy wearing bright red lipstick. Korean boys were trying to charm my pants off. Someone called me a fairy on the way home. All in all, a day well spent.

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

im glad you had fun on your day trip, the breast feeding tonight quote CRACKed me up lol

ps: your outfit was banging!

hannah, heart city said...

aw soudns fun! love that dress!