Saturday, July 10, 2010

Pack rat


I don't think it's just Chinese people, but all the ones I know come from families of pack rats, my mom being the worst of them. Song Dong had an installation piece at MOMA awhile ago called 'Waste Not,' showcasing a collection of objects that his mom had collected over the past 50 years.



Lately I have been thinking about hoarders' logic and I happened to find Raina's Infinite Garage Project. Basically she has inherited everything in her parents' three-car garage, and the blog serves to help document her findings, memories, nightmares about the garage.. She is also selling some of her finds, which include lots of themed sweaters.

I've always joked about opening up our basement as a thrift store, but when I brought up the idea to my mum about having a yard sale, I was met with a suspicious glare and a resounding No.

"The Dungeon," as my dad, sister, and I used to call it.

I guess this strong connection to stuff comes from growing up with very few possessions, at least in my family's case. The acquisition of these objects signifies a certain level of 'success.' So my desire to minimize and organize, well the minimizing part anyway, struck a chord with my mom. Forunately, the Punk Rock Flea Market is happening on July 25, and I've got a table with Hannah. I will be selling some old clothes and shoes of mine, so please come 'round if you're in the Philly area. In the meantime, I found this wig in the basement and had a sleazy photo shoot (in the bathroom, predictably).



I am thinking about cutting the wig short a la Scarlett Johansson in LIT. Oui ou non?

1 comment:

hannah, heart city said...

pretty cool stuff- my parents are total hoarders too, mostly my dad with newspapers. yay p-r-f-m! i cant wait. ps. do you have a car or a friend/mom with one? im trying to figure out how to get stuff there.

also, i have a similar wig i got in tokyo at sankyu but it's a little bit mullet-y. wanna be twins some day?